Saturday, June 19, 2010

NEW bumpersticker: Friends don't let friends not paint!

I am back again after painting and not painting for awhile. I finished a new painting for a local restaurant where I have had work hanging since 2008. I have been attempting to start a new painting for another cafe show where a dear friend is including me in shows.

I love seeing my work hanging out in the world. This alone is inspiration enough to make me want to create. But I have felt even more inspiration from my friend, who believes in me, supports my efforts, but most of all understands because she is an accomplished painter and very creative person herself. We were distant friends at art school in the '80's, and have been reunited via another friend via Facebook.

So, instead of painting, I have been enjoying her delightful company, learning about her life and sharing about my own in the years since. And it is always so good to 'talk shop' about creativity, our own processes, etc. It heartened me tremendously when she confessed her process for 'getting ready to paint' -- making coffee, arranging easels and chairs and lights, choosing music to be played, laying out supplies, being sure everything is in order. Only then can the real work commence. I told her this is exactly what I do too and we both had a good laugh. But what we both know is that once all these seemingly insignificant preparations are made, we will be able to work, focused and uninterrupted for however long it takes.

I don't know if I will get another painting started before I move or not. I have a large canvas stretched and ready, but I am currently relocating my home/studio to more rural area about hour to the northwest. I will be leaving the small factory town that has been my home for almost 2 years. I am leaving sadly: I really love my studio, the amount of space and garden. And I am leaving gladly: Living so close to the factory and its parking lot has been a real pain. My new place is a bit smaller and has a deck, but it also has a garden plot in a community garden adjacent. And a pool. And more nature nearby. I know I will be inspired to do some plein air painting and drawing along some of the country roads. As for this canvas, I am hoping to 'get ready' soon.....

I am feeling very positive, relaxed and hopeful. A new phase of my life is about to begin. I am grateful for friends, old and new, grateful for all the changes I have weathered this year. I certainly never thought I would be where I am now a year ago. I am looking forward to a future of more painting than not, and right now that feels very, very good.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE YOU GIRL! next time we meet we make art.. T

    ReplyDelete